Saturday, May 14, 2011

Finally, a job!

We have now been in New Zealand for over 6 months! It is hard to believe; at times it seems like longer than that. We do feel quite settled, which is the question we are asked most often.

The big news is that I now have a job! I am working in the office of Open Home Foundation, a Christian social work organization in downtown Lower Hutt. I will be working 10 hours a week, on Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons. This is totally an answer to prayer in every way! I found out about the job when the lady who I am replacing came by the church office one day when I was there to inform them that OHF was looking for someone for this position. Since I was there, she gave me name and phone number of the person to call. I did so, and she talked to the boss about me. That weekend, I spent further time talking with this lady about the job, which she painted in a great light. The next week I filled out the application, which was unlike any other application I have ever filled out. They asked things like, "What does being a Christian mean to you?" and "How does your mission/vision/values fit in with ours?" (which were very Christ--centered). I went in for an interview the next week, and again I was asked some unique questions. They called the next day and offered me the job, and I accepted right away! The hours are perfect: enough, but not so much that I can't keep doing the things I'm already doing. The location is perfect: right by the bus stop. The environment is perfect: the ladies are all very friendly, and we start each day with a praise, prayer, and devotional time.

It has been worth waiting this long to find the right job! I started this past week, training with the lady I'm replacing, and I think it will be a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment